Harry Brook says he does not know whether the Wellington incident ahead of the Ashes cost him the England captaincy, but believes appointing Joe Root was the “right decision”.
The 26-year-old was made white-ball captain last April and promoted to vice-captain of the Test team in September.
However, it emerged in January that Brook had been struck by a bouncer the night before the third ODI in Wellington on November 1, after he was refused entry to a club.
Brook was issued with a final warning and fined approximately £30,000.
"I want to apologise for my actions. I fully accept that my behaviour was wrong and brought embarrassment to both myself and the England team," he said in a statement.
Brook has since continued as vice-captain, but following Ben Stokes' departure, England opted to turn to Root to lead the Test side once again rather than promote their second-in-command.
While many have attributed the decision to Brook's misdemeanour, he does not see it that way.
© 2026 - VIPBOX - All Rights Reserved
Leave a Comment